Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On 24.02.2014 09:56, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>
>> What is source in regard to artwork?
>
> For Debian purposes, I would argue that if Debian users have access to
> the same artefacts as upstream then DFSG item 2 is satisfied and the
> package should be in main/contrib. Unfortunately it is never anywhere
> near that simple.

I agree.

[...]

I skip the examples about the missing sources for software and I agree
with all of them.

> The most recent warzone2100 tarball is a GPL violation because they
> ship generated lexers/parsers (C code) but not the bison/flex source
> for them.

That might be a separate thread. Did anyone try to discuss this with
upstream? How can the issue be resolved?

> Hedgewars includes raster images rendered from vector images and
> multilayer raster images. These are included in the upstream VCS but
> not in the tarball.

I think one argument against having everything in the release tarball is
size. Complex games with a lot of art assets tend to ship a lot of art
assets that can occupy precious storage space and bandwidth. Personally
I wouldn't mind to mirror this data or upload a second tarball with
additional source files. However I think we should find a balance
between providing every source file that upstream provides and not
overworking Debian's infrastructure. I find it reasonable to mention the
additional sources in README.source and link to the upstream VCS because
everything is just a click away and in reach for the user.

> The Naev project put pre-rendered images in their main VCS repository.
> The actual source is in a pair of separate repositories on separate
> hosting, one is a hard-to-find git repository associated with the
> Vegastrike project. The source is actually multilayer raster images
> (XCF), vector images (SVG, XaraLX), 3D models (Blender) and some
> shell, make and Python to render these to images. The rendering
> happens rarely and isn't possible with entirely free software due to
> one of the files being XaraLX format. There was a second XaraLX file
> that I converted to SVG but I haven't had the time to fix the other
> one yet.

I saw that Vincent did some work on the package a few years ago and it
appears there hasn't been any progress on #523834 for a long time.
Wouldn't it be possible to drop or replace the non-free XaraLX file and
find a pragmatic solution? Is there no better and faster way to get a
version of Naev into Debian?

I think as long as the resulting image is freely licensed and in a
modifiable form and the rest of Naev is also free software, we should
find a compromise to allow users to enjoy the game, to work with the
sources and to give them a chance to resolve the remaining issues. I
think that's what DFSG 4 reminds us to do. Trying to solve this issue
alone will probably take far too long.

> The original developers of warzone2100 released only pre-rendered
> video for their intro sequences and mission briefing sequences. As a
> result the current developers are unable to render high-resolution
> video for them or fix the textures or anything else. Sadly they also
> seem to be making the same mistakes in their choices.

Agreed but you can't hope for educating all upstream developers. You can
take a radical stance and stop shipping warzone2100 or you can find a
compromise or simply let the user decide.

[...]
> The source for beneath-a-steel-sky and similar point-and-click
> adventures were "lost" a long time ago and are not meaningfully
> modifiable so various glitches cannot be fixed.

I suppose most users are quite happy to play the game just as it appears
with all its glitches and shortcomings which wouldn't be possible
without ScummVM. I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages by far
and nobody prevents anybody from writing an editor. I don't like it
either but there is simply nothing better that can be called source.
BASS's README.Debian explains this a lot better.

Regards,

Markus