Re: Let's party: current status of our Jessie release goal and next meeting

On 12.02.2014 13:11, Steven Hamilton wrote:
[...]

> Anytime's good for me in March. In Oz though so I only chat when
> everyone else is fast asleep.

*sheesh* Why do you have to live on the dark side of the moon? Well, I
think you don't miss much on IRC at the moment.

[...]
> Can you further explain "debtagging"? What it is and how we go about it.

http://debtags.debian.net/

DebTags is basically the buzz word for adding meta information to Debian
packages.

You can find a debtags link on the pts for every source package.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/empire.html

For example:

http://debtags.debian.net/rep/todo/maint/pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org#empire

This will give you an overview about all team maintained packages that
need some tags. The primary goal is that every game has a facet game::*,
where * is the name of a tag such as arcade, sport or even more
fine-grained game::sport:racing. Most games already provide such tags
but not all of them are correct. You can use the debtags tool to search
for packages with these tags and, in the scope of the blends project,
create metapackages with them.

The more meta information are available for packages via debtags, the
easier it is to create specialized metapackages such as games
implemented in Java or Python, with joystick support, etc.

Cheers,

Markus