Re: Extreme Tux Racer 0.4 versus 0.6

 Bringing some upstream point of view. Currently there's one active
developer, and me doing some occasional fixes to build system and
other odd jobs.

On 8 May 2014 18:48, Markus Koschany <apo@gambaru.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working on a new revision for Extreme Tux Racer since last
> October. The new upstream activity at sourceforge.net caught my
> attention and I thought the new release, 0.6, could replace our slightly
> dusty version which is currently available in oldstable and stable. In
> the end it wasn't that easy, so I wanted to share my thoughts with you.
>
> Version 0.6
> ===========
>
> Pros:
>
> * New upstream developers and actively maintained, although development
>   was rather slow in the last months.

 Active development future of course does not make 0.6 any better than
it is. While it certainly would not make sense to start using 0.4 now,
time to migrate away from it is another story.
 The main reason 0.6 was released so soon at all was to give the world
some indication that development has started again so when next
version comes out, it won't take so long to get people to learn about
the "new" project, and also to have clear "base" version as often
comparisons to 0.4 are impossible due to lack of history records.

> My suggestion is:
>
> - Ship 0.4 with Jessie
> - Upload 0.6 to experimental and replace 0.5
> - Re-evaluate everything for Jessie+1

 Could you still keep door open for shipping 0.7 with Jessie if we end
up releasing one before the Jessie freeze?

 - ML