Extreme Tux Racer 0.4 versus 0.6

Hi all,

I have been working on a new revision for Extreme Tux Racer since last
October. The new upstream activity at sourceforge.net caught my
attention and I thought the new release, 0.6, could replace our slightly
dusty version which is currently available in oldstable and stable. In
the end it wasn't that easy, so I wanted to share my thoughts with you.

Version 0.6
===========

Pros:

* New upstream developers and actively maintained, although development
  was rather slow in the last months.
* Cleaner and better code and fixed compiler warnings.
* Will most likely be ported to SFML2.
* Seems to have a long-term future

Cons:

* Does no longer support the extra courses from tuxracer-extras
* No documentation how to create new courses or how to convert existing
  courses

Version 0.4:
============

Pros:

* Has been rather stable without serious or grave bugs for years.
* Supports extra courses from tuxracer-extras
* Provides some Gimp scripts which can help with creating new courses

Cons:

* No longer actively developed. extremetuxracer.com went offline with
  all the documentation
* Lots of compiler warnings.
* No long-term future
* Known problems with fullscreen mode

From my point of view I think we should ship 0.4 once more for Jessie
but aim for 0.6+ for Jessie+1. I think having more content / courses
currently outweighs the fact that 0.6 is better under the hood. This
might change in the future and there will be a point when it doesn't
make sense to support 0.4 anymore.

My suggestion is:

- Ship 0.4 with Jessie
- Upload 0.6 to experimental and replace 0.5
- Re-evaluate everything for Jessie+1

The new versions are available in Git: (master+experimental branch)

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/extremetuxracer.git

and SVN (tuxracer-extras)

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-games/packages/trunk/tuxracer-extras/

Input and feedback are welcome.