Re: Updating bubbros

Control: severity -1 wishlist
Control: retitle -1 transform the original levels to python code

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Juhani Numminen wrote:

> I’d like to help with the bubbros package. Currently it’s not in
> testing because of an RC bug. https://bugs.debian.org/723880
> I’m writing this mail before committing to version control as per
> pkg-games guidelines.

I'm not sure that this bug makes much sense. AFAICT MacBinary is just
an encoding format like uuencode, tar.gz, zip and so on. We even have
tools in Debian main to encode/decode it. The files are under a free
license. bubbros has code to decode these files into internal level
structures. The original shareware version of this game had an in-game
editor where the binary level files were created and edited. No other
form of these levels exists now nor existed in the shareware version
so they are the source (under DFSG 2) AFAICT. It would be nice if the
new upstream were to use standard modern Linux formats (like Python
code) instead of MacBinary but there is no inequality between upstream
and Debian users so I don't think this is a DFSG issue. Changing
severity and title as appropriate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBinary
https://packages.debian.org/sid/macutils
https://wayback.archive.org/web/20060615051831/http://www.mcsebi.de/bb1.php