Re: childsplay 2.x - basic queries

On 01.05.2014 09:39, shirish शिरीष wrote:
[...]
> I asked upstream and it seems there have been no changes virtually in
> the various language packs sounds packages between childsplay 2.6 and
> childsplay 1.6.1 . So the only package that needs to be made/updated
> is the childsplay source package, am I correct in the assumption ?

If upstream confirms that they didn't make any changes to the language
packages, then an update of the childsplay source package might be
sufficient. However the current versioning of the language packs puzzles
me. Debian ships 0.9.1 and the latest upstream release is 0.4.3 though? [1]

> 1. If I wanted to make sure that there are no changes to the language
> packs how do I for instance check if there are have been any changes
> or not ?

[...]

You could also compare the packages with "diff" for instance. If there
are any changes, diff will show them to you.

> 2. The second thing is how do I go about it ?
>
> Should I be packaging from scratch (guess would be harder)
>
> or getting sources and making changes in files (should make it
> slightly easier) but then I'm not at all familiar at the tools either
> way.

I assume the current maintainer of childsplay is happy with that or MIA.
The best thing is to get the official source package

apt-get source childsplay

and continue where the last maintainer left off.

> I read a bit and there seems to be multiplicity of the tools. dh-make
> and other upon. The game is based on python for to run the upstream
> version I have to do :-
>
> $python childsplay.py
>
> in order to play it.
>
> It seems that I need to work with dh_python2 in order to package it.
> Am I correct in assumption or wrong ?

It seems you are right. The childsplay package already calls dh_python2
in debian/rules. You have to do some reading about Debian's Python
Policy. [2] More information about packaging Python applications are
available on the wiki.[3] There are various other resources about
learning Debian packaging for instance [4]

I would use the current packaging, import the latest upstream tarball of
childsplay and get on with that.

Regards,

Markus

[1] http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/childsplay/language_packs/