childsplay 2.x - basic queries

Hi all,
Let me say at the outset that I have no prior experience at packaging
so the questions may be dumb or have been repeated hence please bear
with me.

First of all the upstream is in the process of moving all the
development and upstream work from sourceforge.net to
savannah.nongnu.org for their own reasons.

You can find the project now at

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/childsplay/

and the upstream releases at
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/childsplay/ where after a
bit of prodding, they also moved the language packs.

I am using Lucas's packaging tutorial package as a guide to understand
packaging.

If I look into childsplay package

$ aptitude show childsplay
Package: childsplay
State: not installed
Version: 1.6-1
Section: games
Maintainer: Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 14.8 M
Depends: python2.6 | python2.7, python (>= 2.6.6-7~), python (< 2.8),
python-gtk2, python-numpy, python-sqlalchemy, python-pygame (>= 1.7),
ttf-dejavu
Recommends: childsplay-alphabet-sounds
Conflicts: childsplay-alphabet-sounds-ca (< 0.8.5-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-de (< 0.8.5-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-es (< 0.8.5-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-fr (< 0.8.5-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-it (< 0.8.5-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-nl (< 0.8.5-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-pt (< 0.8.3-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-ru (< 0.8.5-1),
childsplay-alphabet-sounds-sv (< 0.8.3-1), childsplay-plugins,
childsplay-plugins-lfc
Replaces: childsplay-plugins, childsplay-plugins-lfc
 Childsplay provides memory activities that are fun to play and at the
same time learn sounds, images, letters and numbers; activities that
train the child to use the mouse and keyboard and pure game activities
like puzzles, pong, pacman and billiards.
Homepage: http://www.schoolsplay.org/

It seems there is the childsplay source package and the virtual
childsplay-alphabet-sounds package which in turn is provided by the
various language packs.

I asked upstream and it seems there have been no changes virtually in
the various language packs sounds packages between childsplay 2.6 and
childsplay 1.6.1 . So the only package that needs to be made/updated
is the childsplay source package, am I correct in the assumption ?

1. If I wanted to make sure that there are no changes to the language
packs how do I for instance check if there are have been any changes
or not ?

I have NOT installed childsplay 1.6.1 but can download the language
packs deb, extract the archive and compare the SHA1-sum of individual
.ogg files (would be quite a bit of manual work but is there a better
way ? )

The upstream language packages are in the form of .tgz archives for
each language. One can find them at :-

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/childsplay/language_packs/

2. The second thing is how do I go about it ?

Should I be packaging from scratch (guess would be harder)

or getting sources and making changes in files (should make it
slightly easier) but then I'm not at all familiar at the tools either
way.

I read a bit and there seems to be multiplicity of the tools. dh-make
and other upon. The game is based on python for to run the upstream
version I have to do :-

$python childsplay.py

in order to play it.

It seems that I need to work with dh_python2 in order to package it.
Am I correct in assumption or wrong ?

$ aptitude show dh-python
Package: dh-python
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 1.20140128-1
 This package contains:
 * pybuild - invokes various build systems for requested Python
versions in order to build modules and extensions
 * dh_python2 - calculates Python 2.X dependencies for Debian
packages, adds maintainer scripts to byte compile files, etc.
 * dh_python3 - calculates Python 3.X dependencies for Debian
packages, adds maintainer scripts to byte compile files, etc.
 * dh_pypy - calculates PyPy dependencies for Debian packages, adds
maintainer scripts to byte compile files, etc.

Lastly, some info I could garner from using the --version flag on
childsplay itself.

$ python childsplay.py --version
['childsplay.py', '--version']
No binary
Childsplay version: 2.6
Platform :linux2
Python version: 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 15:40:47)
Pygame version: 1.9.1release
SDL version: 1.2.15
Sqlalchemy version: 0.9.4

Looking forward to make sense of things for self.

Till l8er.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com