Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On 17/02/14 05:53, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> As an user, I'd expect that 'apt-get install
> sauerbraten' will pull in upstream's data and art assets
> (sauerbraten-data), not sauerbraten-wake6.

I agree, and I think this is important: a game isn't an acceptable
substitute for a different game just because it happens to use the same
engine. I'd be quite annoyed if I tried to play something labelled as
Quake 3 and got OpenArena instead, or vice versa :-)

The issue here is that Sauerbraten means two things. It's a Free game
engine like ioquake3, and it's also a non-Free game like Quake 3. We can
have "the engine used in Sauerbraten" in main, but it isn't reasonable
to claim on that basis that we have Sauerbraten-the-game in main.

I don't think it's actually worth doing this if the OpenArena-equivalent
is just a single map, but if there was a somewhat larger OpenArena-like
map pack for Sauerbraten, it could be packaged with a dependency
structure more like our Quake 3 packaging, something like:

sauerdfsg [main] Depends: sauerbraten-engine [main]

sauerbraten [contrib] Depends: sauerbraten-engine [main],
sauerbraten-data [non-free]

Based on the precedent set by quakespasm, the ftp-masters would probably
be OK with having the Sauerbraten engine in main, as long as there is
something DFSG-free that it can play (not necessarily packaged); but I
don't really see much benefit in separating Sauerbraten-the-game from
Sauerbraten-the-engine and moving the latter from contrib to main,
unless there's some other reason to want to (like an OpenArena equivalent).