Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>
>> Any objections?
>
> I'm not sure sauerbraten-wake6 should be in Debian at all, the
> description describes it as "dodgy". The initial motivation was to be
> able to move sauerbraten to main, which I would describe as
> disingenuous and dodgy.
>
> It is pointless to have it in main without the game engine in main
> too. To move sauerbraten to main it would need to change the dep from
> sauerbraten-data to sauerbraten-wake6 and maybe add a suggests on
> sauerbraten-data. This would leave most sauerbraten users with an
> experience that is very very different from what upstream intended. In
> my opinion this would be a recipe for disaster from a user support
> perspective and an upstream relations perspective.
>
> The Saubraten upstream community appears to be firmly rooted in the
> non-free data license world, I'd suggest attempting to change that
> upstream (or just give up) rather than adding a silly workaround in
> Debian that will be detrimental to Debian.

Agreed with all that pabs has said above.

As the maintainer, I'd argue that there is absolutely no way to claim
that sauerbraten-wake6 is a substitute for all the art and data assets
that upstream provides (and that Debian provides in the non-free
sauerbraten-data package), and using sauerbraten-wake6 as an excuse to
move sauerbraten to main undermines the distinction between
main/contrib/non-free. As an user, I'd expect that 'apt-get install
sauerbraten' will pull in upstream's data and art assets
(sauerbraten-data), not sauerbraten-wake6.

Regards,
Vincent