Re: ufo-ai: can we make it?

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 10:38:46PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
> On Fri, 05. Jul 23:58 Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > Any volunteers to investigate?
> >
> > Markus maybe you could have a look? For some strange reason I thought
> > about you first... ;)
>
> Haha, note to self: Stop being so cheerful and you can avoid a lot of
> work. :P

haha, yeah!

[..]

> Possibly the greatest problem is the huge size of the data files. The
> source tarball is uncompressed ~900 MB large. If we were lucky we could
> compress all files by 20-25 %. I haven't followed the discussion about
> data.debian.org and i am not sure if we need it for UFO.

Certainly yes. There used to be an URL at upstream listing all graphics with
unknown origin. Sadly I can't find it right now (does it still exist?).

> In short, looks like a promising and complex free software game which
> could improve our games portolio for sure.

Yes! I've been playing earlier versions quite in depth, and typically I
built these from upstream sources. Most of the time, this worked without or only
with minor modifications.

Sadly, my spare time is very limited, so I fear I cannot help with checking
data files. But if there are technical problems to solve, I'm happy to help out
as far as I can and as my spare time admits. Just give me a ping on the ML. :)

Cheers,
  Stefan.