Derivative icons for proprietary applications

Hi,

I would like to know what is the legal status of derivative work, based on (likely) copyrighted images which are publicly and widely available (pristine or modified) on internet.

I have made a package for GemRB, which re-implements an engine for Baldur's Gate game serie, and I have created some icons based on the games logos. There is little doubt to me that this is not acceptable in a Debian package, but I wanted to know more about it and how much it is infringing the games owner rights.

For reference, the icons are available here: https://github.com/berenm/gemrb/tree/debian/debian/icons/

Best,
--
Beren Minor