Re: Review pkg gmqcc (dependency for Xonotic)

Hi Anton,

I have had a look at your package.  Here are a few points:

1. I think it would be a good idea to mention in debian/changelog that
you apply a patch to the manpage to fix a lintian warning.

2. I don't think it is necessary for the syntax files to be included
with the docs as it this not where the user would expect them to be.
We should either put them in the correct locations or ignore them.

The next two questions I do not know the answer to myself, and so
would be grateful if other members of the games team could answer (if
not, we ask on -mentors):

1. Should debian/copyright be an exact representation of the copyright
information contained within the headder of a file, or is the general
license given by upstream sufficient?  For example this project's
LICENSE is

"Copyright (C) 2012, 2013
    Dale Weiler
    Wolfgang Bumiller

Expat..."

but some of the individual files only contain one author.

I have seen some packages that have very careful and accurate
debian/copyright, is this something one should aim for?

2. I still have an issue with splitting the package.  I know that the
package is only 302K, but my problem is that it build-depends on
texlive-latex-extra (rather than build-depends-indep).  In this state
the latex documentation would be rebuilt for every arch, most
importantly this means that texlive-latex-extra also has to be
installed.

This seems like a waste of resources on the autobuilders, shouldn't
this be avoided?

The following is not necessary for a debian package but is something
you may want to consider for packages maintained by a group in git:

git-buildpackage has several mechanisms that improve the packaging
workflow if you are familiar with git.  For example:

1. You may use gbp-pq to handle patches in git and export them to
quilt.

2. The --git-upstream-tag option can be used to automatically create
upstream tarballs from the upstream git branch (this should almost
always be used along with the pristine-tar branch)

Thank you again for packaging gmqcc.

David