M.A.R.S. (was Re: Barbie Seahorse Adventures)
- To: Markus Koschany <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: M.A.R.S. (was Re: Barbie Seahorse Adventures)
- From: Hans de Goede <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 16:44:08 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 523DB0B8.email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <51F8DCE4.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <51DFF2D3.email@example.com> <51F6B746.firstname.lastname@example.org> <51F8D249.email@example.com> <CAKTje6EwGfZx3fXUHu1HF255K4X8fJSMedG+N4NA-1v1mBLiOg@mail.gmail.com> <51F8DCE4.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 07/31/2013 11:46 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
On 31.07.2013 11:30, Paul Wise wrote:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Do you guys have this one already:
If not, add it to the list. I'm working on packaging it for Fedora
under the name "m.a.r.s.", and this is one for the too cool to not
package list :)
We don't have SFML2 yet.
One non-free font (Tahoma).
Perhaps more, didn't do an extensive review.
I've started a fork of M.A.R.S. to make it DFSG free / match Fedora's
Note I did not do a file by file audit, since upstream has done a good
job of keeping track of the sources of various resources I simply went
by what upstream has listed in credits.txt.
credits.txt contains the following troublesome parts:
- music by Obsidian Shell, CC-BY-NC-ND 3.0 (http://www.obsidianshell.com/index.php )
- interface-sounds (http://www.soundjay.com/)
- - For copyright notices, have a look at the corresponding meta-data fields within the font files.
I've replaced the troublesome interface-sounds and 2 troublesome fonts
with Free replacements, see:
I've also documented all the font licenses and the origin of the new interface sounds in credits.txt.
This leaves the music as something that needs replacement. I'm looking
into this now. I've mailed Obsidian Shell asking them for permission
to distribute under a different license. Since this may be a bit of
a long shot, I will also start looking into some alternatives.
Indeed m.a.r.s is a very promising game, unfortunately development has
stalled last year and it is uncertain when it will resume again. Not
having SFML2 in Debian yet seems like the biggest blocker to me at the
We only recently got SFML2 into Fedora, we've made SFML-1.6 and SFML-2.0
parallel installable by putting the headers in a separate dir and renaming
the .so symlinks. Since 2.0 comes with pkg-config files, this is transparently
handled for apps which properly use pkg-config (famous last words). We left
1.6 unmodified so that existing packages would not need any adjustments.
I've added a patch for M.A.R.S. to use pkg-config properly to my git repo,
because ofcourse it didn't.