Re: M.A.R.S. (was Re: Barbie Seahorse Adventures)

On 21.09.2013 16:44, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]

> I've started a fork of M.A.R.S. to make it DFSG free / match Fedora's
> licensing guidelines.

Nice.

[...]
> I've replaced the troublesome interface-sounds and 2 troublesome fonts
> with Free replacements, see:
> https://github.com/jwrdegoede/M.A.R.S./commits/master
>
> I've also documented all the font licenses and the origin of the new interface sounds in credits.txt.

I've done something similar. I removed all embedded font copies and replaced them with
symlinks to font packages in Debian.

ae_AlMothnna-Bold.ttf -> DejaVuSans.ttf (fonts-dejavu)
gargi.ttf -> Gargi.ttf (fonts-gargi)
tahoma.ttf -> Norasi.ttf (fonts-tlwg-norasi)
Ubuntu-R.ttf -> DejaVuSans.ttf (fonts-dejavu)
wqy-microhei.ttc -> wqy-microhei.ttc (ttf-wqy-microhei)

I'm quite satisfied with the result. It looks nice.

Thanks for replacing the interface-sounds. I'll have a look at them soon.
I've already replaced the music with your recommendations Tenpel, Chrimson Blue
and tri-stikhii and Emptiness.ogg from Alexander Blu for the tutorial.
You can download the sources with

dget -x ftp://46.182.19.209/marsshooter/marsshooter_0.7.5+dfsg-1.dsc

or simply grab the original tarball here:

ftp://46.182.19.209/marsshooter/marsshooter_0.7.5+dfsg.orig.tar.xz

Perhaps you like this mix too.

> This leaves the music as something that needs replacement. I'm looking
> into this now. I've mailed Obsidian Shell asking them for permission
> to distribute under a different license. Since this may be a bit of
> a long shot, I will also start looking into some alternatives.

If Obsidian Shell changed the license, I think that would be worth a beer. :)

> We only recently got SFML2 into Fedora, we've made SFML-1.6 and SFML-2.0
> parallel installable by putting the headers in a separate dir and renaming
> the .so symlinks. Since 2.0 comes with pkg-config files, this is transparently
> handled for apps which properly use pkg-config (famous last words). We left
> 1.6 unmodified so that existing packages would not need any adjustments.

James Cowgill packaged SFML2 for Debian and he is still looking for a sponsor.
I'm using his package locally and it works fine.

https://mentors.debian.net/package/libsfml

Regards,

Markus