Re: Steam for Linux

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:29:41 Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  As is mostly other package in the non-free part, and that's part of the
> reason behind that non-free is (and never can be) part of Debian.

Of course.

>  Well, we have chromium and iceweasel which offer download of addons
> which follow similar principles you strongly object to, and a browser
> can be used to download even more restrictive stuff.  Steam is a
> distribution channel mostly, and offers the community some additional
> features to communicate with each other.

What a fantastic argument! I love it. Could it be a flaw in my reasoning? ;)

I'm not sure how to articulate differences between browsers and Steam.

Perhaps we have to have browsers while Steam is redundant?
Or may be browsers allow us to install close-source plugins but do not force
us to do it? Or perhaps unlike Steam browsers exist not merely to distribute
their plugins? Or maybe because browsers are not the same as DRM?

I think my idea was not against browsers or file manages or freedom for that
matter. I don't see how Steam is useful when I recognise it as harmful.

> > Besides through Steam they are distributing proprietary content that is
> > most likely is not suitable for non-free as well.
>
>  So?  We don't block browsers to download proprietary content, or any
> other network service.  Our users have the freedom to choose themself
> what they want to download with any software with distribute to them.

How about hypothetical browser that distribute only proprietary content?
Freedom is indeed very important.

> > If that's not matching the definition of "opening pandora's box" then I
> > don't know what is.
>
>  Not everything is black or white, and this is no ideal world.  That's
> why we specificly have the non-free part fort, to make people available
> that they clearly are not following the one-true-path™.

:) Actually I'm not against non-free. I know sometimes it is necessary.
However when there is a strong justification for drivers or documentation I
think one shall think twice before uploading something that is not good and
not necessary. Apologies if I expressed this idea in black-and-white-ish
terms.

> > IMHO Steam is entirely off the scope of non-free and shouldn't be there.
>
>  You (or anyone else) don't have to put any effort into packaging it,
> but given that its license allows distribution (which is the only thing
> that is needed for non-free).  If there is someone willing to put effort
> into it, it's their choice, not ours.

Of course but we may have our concerns. In any case I respect the effort even
though I might disagree regarding how it's used.

> > We should be fighting against DRM whenever we can. I encourage you to
> > read more about DRM and consider joining FSF campaingn against DRM.
>
>  Of course DRM is something that is a very big issue, and I am very glad
> that you put efforts into making it disappear.  Though, different people
> are allowed different opinions, which is an important part of their
> freedom.  Being able to make up ones own mind is very important.

Yes, so very true. I'm with you. I meant no disrespect. Lack of sleep makes me
emotional but I'm just trying to share my concerns.

Thank you.

> > ---
> >
> > A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
> >
> >         -- David Hume, "An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding"
>
>  Interesting quote in your signature in that context. :)

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. :)

Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov
 GPG key : 4096R/53968D1B

---

It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right.
        -- Winston Churchill