Re: Steam for Linux

* Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@member.fsf.org> [2013-02-15 16:57:01 CET]:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 23:40:34 Boris Pek wrote:
> > Steam client is now available for Linux [1]. I have read "steam install
> > agreement" (see attachment) and it looks suitable for non-free/games.
> > Does anyone have an opposite opinion?
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > If there are no objections I will open an ITP bug.
>
> I would be very upset to see Steam in Debian even if its license would be
> perfect. Steam is in fundamental conflict with our values.

 As is mostly other package in the non-free part, and that's part of the
reason behind that non-free is (and never can be) part of Debian.

> To my understanding, the only reason for Steam to exist is to enforce DRM
> control -- this is pure evil and it should not be.

 DRM is not it's core aim - distributing (commercial) games in a
convenient way is it's main reason.

> Restriction management software does not belong here.

 Well, we have chromium and iceweasel which offer download of addons
which follow similar principles you strongly object to, and a browser
can be used to download even more restrictive stuff.  Steam is a
distribution channel mostly, and offers the community some additional
features to communicate with each other.

> Besides through Steam they are distributing proprietary content that is most
> likely is not suitable for non-free as well.

 So?  We don't block browsers to download proprietary content, or any
other network service.  Our users have the freedom to choose themself
what they want to download with any software with distribute to them.

> If that's not matching the definition of "opening pandora's box" then I don't
> know what is.

 Not everything is black or white, and this is no ideal world.  That's
why we specificly have the non-free part fort, to make people available
that they clearly are not following the one-true-path™.

> IMHO Steam is entirely off the scope of non-free and shouldn't be there.

 You (or anyone else) don't have to put any effort into packaging it,
but given that its license allows distribution (which is the only thing
that is needed for non-free).  If there is someone willing to put effort
into it, it's their choice, not ours.

> We should be fighting against DRM whenever we can. I encourage you to read
> more about DRM and consider joining FSF campaingn against DRM.

 Of course DRM is something that is a very big issue, and I am very glad
that you put efforts into making it disappear.  Though, different people
are allowed different opinions, which is an important part of their
freedom.  Being able to make up ones own mind is very important.

> ---
>
> A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
>         -- David Hume, "An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding"

 Interesting quote in your signature in that context. :)

 Enjoy,
Rhonda