Re: Steam for Linux

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 23:40:34 Boris Pek wrote:
> Steam client is now available for Linux [1]. I have read "steam install
> agreement" (see attachment) and it looks suitable for non-free/games.
> Does anyone have an opposite opinion?
>
> [...]
>
> If there are no objections I will open an ITP bug.

I would be very upset to see Steam in Debian even if its license would be
perfect. Steam is in fundamental conflict with our values.
To my understanding, the only reason for Steam to exist is to enforce DRM
control -- this is pure evil and it should not be.
Restriction management software does not belong here.

Besides through Steam they are distributing proprietary content that is most
likely is not suitable for non-free as well.

If that's not matching the definition of "opening pandora's box" then I don't
know what is.

IMHO Steam is entirely off the scope of non-free and shouldn't be there.

We should be fighting against DRM whenever we can. I encourage you to read
more about DRM and consider joining FSF campaingn against DRM.

See also

	https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/drm.html
	https://www.eff.org/issues/drm
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

--
Cheers,
 Dmitry Smirnov

---

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
        -- David Hume, "An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding"