Re: Steam for Linux

Hi Dmitry,

> I would be very upset to see Steam in Debian even if its license would be
> perfect. Steam is in fundamental conflict with our values.

Non-free branch in not a part of Debian.

> To my understanding, the only reason for Steam to exist is to enforce DRM
> control -- this is pure evil and it should not be.
> Restriction management software does not belong here.

Do you feel the same in applying to flashplugin-nonfree and its alternates?
Flash plugin is usually used for executing non-free programs and playing
non-free content (music, video) and etc. There is no big difference between
them.

> Besides through Steam they are distributing proprietary content that is most
> likely is not suitable for non-free as well.

This content does not come with a package, it will be downloaded by user.

> If that's not matching the definition of "opening pandora's box" then I don't
> know what is.
>
> IMHO Steam is entirely off the scope of non-free and shouldn't be there.

Should I remind you about point 5 in Debian Social Contract?

> We should be fighting against DRM whenever we can. I encourage you to read
> more about DRM and consider joining FSF campaingn against DRM.
>
> See also
>
>         https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/drm.html
>         https://www.eff.org/issues/drm
>         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Thanks, I am aware of this problem. Have you also read an article [1]?

[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

I am respect your position. But we live in not perfect world, and huge amount
of users will be not agree with you on this issue.

Best wishes,
Boris