Re: prboom+

On Thu, 25. Oct 07:47 Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>
> > So prboom+ has some new features compared to prboom but i wonder if
> > there is any kind of criterion or guideline within the games team to decide
> > whether a fork should be packaged or not. For example what's the
> > difference between having Torcs but not Speed Dreams in Debian? Is it
> > simply a matter of "someone must be interested in doing the work" or are
> > there other reasons?
>
> We've had two separate 'requests for package' in the case of prboom+. I'd say
> "someone must be interested in doing the work" is one criterion, and "someone
> wants the package" is another.

Ok. Adding Paul's point that also a reviewer and sponsor is required,
these are quite simple rules. I always thought this would be more
complicated.

> > prboom+ sounds like a slightly enhanced version, anyone know if they
> > could/should be merged or not?
>
> They have some slightly incompatible priorities, so a formal merge is unlikely.
> They share an upstream VCS (different branches) and a lot of code flows between
> the two I think.

I had a look at prboom+. From my point of view prboom+ is simply a continuation
of prboom, something what you would have expected to see if the
development of prboom hadn't stalled since 2008. I think the new
advertised features are improvements and if it's true that they come
without any loss of compatibility with DOOM and are made in the spirit
of prboom, i can see no reason why prboom+ shouldn't succeed it.

I guess i would package prboom+ and if nobody complained about the new
version, i'd drop prboom before Jessie freezes.