Re: Should we have some NMU/commiting guidelines?

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 19:45 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 23-03-12 19:03, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> > most of the time it's quilt (if debian/source/format says "3.0
> > (quilt)" It's a very smooth workflow.
>
> Yes, I can work with quilt, but the problem is that after a checkout I
> don't have the upstream source where I can change files for my patch.
> And before build, I need to remove the extracted directory, or it will
> refuse to build (IIRC).
>
> Quilt itself is smooth enough, but I need upstream files to use it.
>
> Can you tell me the steps you take to build a modified package? At the
> moment my steps would be something like:
>
> svn checkout ...
> svn-buildpackage ...
> cp -a ../build-area/package/[* except debian/] .
> quilt new name
> quilt add files
> [make changes]
> quilt refresh
> rm -r [* except debian/]
> svn-buildpackage ...
>
> That's just from the top of my head, but I think you get the point.
> There must be an easier way, right?
>
> Thanks,
> Bas
>
> (And yes, I know dpkg-source has some stuff which is more
> user-friendly for debian packages than quilt itself, but I haven't
> tried that yet, so I don't know the parameters.)

For just a single package, I think "debcheckout foo" may be more
convenient, one possible workflow, sidestepping svn-buildpackage, would
be:

debcheckout foo
debuild -isvn
changes...
debuild -isvn
svn add+commit

This should work in the case of s/svn/git/ as well, although as
mentioned, in that case upstream source is usually also versioned.

A svn-buildpackage-centric flow would be:

svn co svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/foo

# If svn-bp:origUrl is set {
svn-buildpackage
}
# If we need to get the tarball elsewhere (apt-get source/uscan)
svn-buildpackage --svn-download-orig

# If we want to muck with upstream source
tar --strip-components=1 -xf ../tarballs/yabause_0.9.11.orig.tar.gz

changes...
svn-buildpackage --svn-ignore-new
svn add+commit

There are likely people who are better versed in SVN than me (I'm a
gitter at heart), so there might be even easier solutions, those are the
ones that seemed to make sense to me though.

--
Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>