Re: Should we have some NMU/commiting guidelines?

On 23-03-12 12:58, Martin Erik Werner wrote:
> That sounds like a reasonable policy in my ears too, but I think that
> more people need to chime in on this... *nudgenudge*

Being a very inactive team member, I'll refrain from posting an opinion
on the guidelines. However, I do have something to say, which may be useful:

I've tried several times to do sponsoring or bugfixing for the games
team. I would like to do something like:
- download package from vcs
- build it
- make changes to it
- build it again
- commit
- upload

My problem is with "make changes to it" Perhaps it's in the wiki, but
I've never found it. It seems that what happens is that the packaging is
in the vcs (that's good), at build time the tarball is unpacked, patched
and built, but not in the source dir. So how can I create a new patch,
other than by copying the build directory into the source, making the
patch, removing all the upstream files again (otherwise the build system
will scream at me), and build again? (That works, and I've done it, but
it's a reason for me to do other things instead.)

Once I know how this works more smoothly (I'm sure it does, you can't
all accept such a cumbersome way), I hope to make a screencast to
demonstrate "how to help the games team". I think this is very useful,
because a DD is is not involved in the team is very likely to have the
same problem.

Thanks,
Bas