Re: Paths in the default mame config file

Il 03/11/2012 14:43, Emmanuel Kasper ha scritto:
> Thanks Simon for providing us the big picture about the xdg specs in
> your authoritative post !
>
>>> So, if we can't tweak mame.ini using the XDG_* variable set,
>> my personal preference would be reverting to ~/.mame/
> @cesare:
> Since Jordi and I have provided a written feedback on the ini file,
> could you have a look at http://lite.framapad.org/p/yxU1G0GEDM and edit
> the file to make a proposal ?
>
> Manu

I've looked ad the code and making Mame XDG-compliant would involve a
lot of patching :(

Tweaking mame.ini would also be tricky, requiring some scripting stuff
to test XDG_* variables content and setting some kind of MAME_*
variables to be used instead of $HOME in the paths configuration lines.
Not to mention that the user could set e.g. XDG_DATA_HOME *after*
installing Mame and this would make things even worse. :((

I reverted all paths to ~/.mame/ subdirs, but I'd really like to reach a
shared view on this. :)
Please point me to the feedback, I'd like to read it.

Other changes I made after some deeper testing:
*    fontpath: removed
For some reason I still can't figure out, the system fontpath is
searched instead, at least on my Ubuntu box. Could someone please try
$ mame -uifont <some_ttf_font_name_here> <some_free_game_name>
and check whether this works for Debian too?
*    ctrlrpath: changed to system-wide entry only
This configures a device (game controller). I see no reason to put this
in the hands of the user, unless he's the Admin too ;)
*    hashpath: changed to system-wide entry only
Unlike mess, an extensive file for each system is supplied so there's no
need for custom ones.

Cheers,
Cesare.