Re: Advice on a new package

2012/8/30 Markus Koschany <apo@gambaru.de>:
> Hi Juhani,
>
> i'm working on a debian package myself at the moment and i think the
> recommended way to implement hardening is to use dpkg-buildflags.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/HardeningWalkthrough

Oh, I hadn't spotted that wiki page. It gave me more information about
hardening.

> In case you're using debhelper 9 (compat level 9) you can simply put a
> line like this at the top of debian/rules
>
> export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS = hardening=+all

Compat level is indeed 9 (and Build-Depend on debhelper 9).
Activating all hardening flags did produce a bit strange executable. I
could not run it from file manager (it's Thunar 1.2.3-4+b1), it was
identified as a "library". Running application from command line
printed an extra zero character, and quitting the program, from its
GUI or with Ctrl+C, exited also the terminal. Lintian reported the
same error as it did without all hardening options. Otherwise the
application worked though as expected.

I uploaded my package to mentors.d.o:
http://mentors.debian.net/package/fortuner it is without
hardening+=all.