Re: Best practices for OpenGL ES

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Tobias Hansen wrote:

> in the last team meeting one topic was OpenGL ES and I think the
> consensus was that we should use it. One of my packages (sludge) will
> support OpenGL ES 2 with the next release. Now I have to decide whether
> the next package will be built with ordinary GL, GLES2 or to provide two
> packages. If we provide both, which one should be the default?
>
> Does Mesa 3D GLES work for all graphics cards for which GLX drivers are
> available in Debian (i.e. is there a choice that works everywhere)?

I think this would be best discussed with the X Strike Force and with
the maintainers of the non-free drivers (nVidia, fglrx).

Some thoughts:

None of the implementations of GLES for embedded GPUs are free, they
are all binary blobs. There have been rumours of open drivers for ages
but none of them ever produced actual code releases.

Mesa 3D GLES is just an overlay API for Gallium3D, so it probably
where we have mesa using Gallium3D, the API is irrelevant. Probably
the GLES API library is less memory/etc overhead though since it
supports less stuff?

I think this means that fglrx supports GLES:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODU0Nw

I can't find anything about the nVidia desktop/laptop GPU binary
drivers supporting it. The Tegra mobile GPU ones do though.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise