Re: FreeOrion

On 2 September 2011 15:14, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/2011 09:35 AM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>>
>> Adam Borowski:
>> * [a show stopper] it requires Nvidia's CG Toolkit -- non-free
>>   non-distributable.  The upstream is in love in that piece of crock, and
>>   declares it is and should be mandatory.
>>

> According to this upstream forum post that is no longer true for almost
> a year now:
> http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=44699&sid=b0a7642025c75da516775cf4e0fa245c#p44699

 Indeed.

 So, *if* FreeOrion is wanted to Debian, I think three new (source)
packages are needed. "If" here is about how unfinished FreeOrion is.
Last time (almost two years ago) I actually tested it a bit, it was
not at all usable as game since most of the fundamental functionality
was still missing.
 1. FreeOrion requires bullet. Googling showed that there actually is
some bullet packaging stuff in Debian version control, but no packages
has ever been released. There are also several packages by other
people (getdeb has some kind of version, and I use ones I've created
myself: http://build.cazfi.net/deb/ ) Even if FreeOrion itself is not
included to Debian, possibility to install bullet as Debian package
would make upstream life easier.
 2. GiGi, or GG, is library developet in parallel with FreeOrion. In
some ways it would even make sense to have it as part of main
FreeOrion source package, but it's much easier to build FreeOrion
separately after GG. Upstream FreeOrion build requires GG libraries to
be installed (can be found with pkg-config) when configuring
FreeOrion.
 3. FreeOrion itself. Last time I built one, it was absolutely huge
due to amount of data included.

 I don't have any immediate plans to become Debian maintainer myself,
I really have more work than I can handle in severalupstream
projects, so someone else would need to be the responsible person in
bringing FreeOrion to Debian. Of course I can provide what I have
produced so far to be used as starting point.

 - ML