Re: 0ad beta 6 packages

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Vincent Cheng wrote:
>>> I'll upload it to mentors.d.n later tonight or tomorrow if anyone
>>> wants to take a second look at it.
>>
>> Refreshed my 0ad package and uploaded it to mentors.d.n:
>>
>> $ dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/0/0ad/0ad_0+r09786-1.dsc
>
> Didn't review that yet and I probably won't get to it until late
> August since I will be travelling.
>
>> but for some reason dput segfaulted halfway through
>
> That sounds like a python bug. You might want to enable core dumps on
> your system so that you can file bugs about random crashes.
>
>> http://releases.wildfiregames.com/0ad-r09786-alpha-unix-data.tar.xz
>
> The upstream tarball contains a pre-built copy of the DejaVu font,
> please ask them to remove that. Likewise for the other font, that
> should be packaged separately from 0ad using the upstream project. It
> is perfectly acceptable for upstream to include pre-built fonts in
> their binary installers/packages for platforms with broken/missing
> repository/dependency systems but the source packages and VCS should
> not include non-source forms and should not contain embedded copies of
> other projects.
>
> http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/pagella
>
> There doesn't appear be any suspicious metadata in the images.
>
> A couple of the images are pre-rendered text. I wonder which font they
> used and if it. IMO text should only be rendered at runtime since that
> enables i18n and ensure that any fonts used on Debian systems are
> DFSG-free.
>
> IMO the small versions of the icons should be removed and the scaling
> should happen either at runtime or buildtime. I think it would be nice
> to convert the images to vector so that the UI can scale to any
> resolution. The buttons dir contains only small versions, so I wonder
> if there is some source code missing there.
>
> There is a ZIP file in there too. It seems a bit rediculous to put a
> compressed file inside the already compressed tarball and even more
> rediculous to put such a file in a VCS (didn't look if it was there
> too).
>
> If I unpack the zip file I get a shitload of other stuff. I don't have
> time to review the whole thing right now, but based on find | xargs
> file there are some things that are not source code or not in
> standard, modifiable formats, which is what the source package should
> consist of.
>
> The font stuff inside it weird. IMO this should be replaced by vector
> fonts rendered at runtime. There are other images with pre-rendered
> text that possibly was rendered using non-free fonts.
>
> Also the ./public/art/LICENSE.txt file indicates that all the
> materials from CGTextures are missing their source form.
>
> I find it completely bizarre that they are using an Excel spreadsheet
> to store techtree info. Does the game really require a Excel file
> reading code??

> [...]

Thanks for the review; cc'ing Philip so that he can take a look at
these issues and perhaps address them upstream. I believe the issues
with pre-rendered text were discussed previously in the discussion
following my first RFS posting, but most of these other issues you
bring up haven't been discussed yet and are definitely worth bringing
to upstream's attention.

- Vincent