Re: SDL and multiscreen

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Rather then not defaulting to fullscreen, I would rather see us
> fix the issues with fullscreen mode in SDL (and if needed in
> other game libs).

I would like that too - 0 A.D. uses SDL and one of the most common
pieces of feedback is that the default fullscreen mode is broken on
multi-monitor systems (it tends to cover both monitors and stretch the
game across the middle). (Some affected people are using NVIDIA
TwinView mode, other affected people aren't, in case that makes a
difference). Windowed mode is not a good solution, since players
should be able to scroll by pushing their mouse to the edge of their
screen, and since the game should be able to switch to lower
resolutions (for better performance on low-end hardware).

Currently we use XOpenDisplay/XDefaultScreen/XDisplayWidth etc to get
the default resolution if the player hasn't specified one, then launch
SDL with SDL_FULLSCREEN, and that's about it. I doubt this is ideal,
but I haven't seen any documentation on what would work better (maybe
some environment variables to make SDL stick to a single monitor?),
but it sounds like limitations in the libraries prevent it from being
ideal anyway. Some combination of library fixes and advice on writing
the application code for fullscreen games would be great.

--
Philip Taylor
excors@gmail.com