Re: Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

On Thu, 5 May 2011 00:32:32 +0200
Richard Hartmann <richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 23:49, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > What are the serious reasons for it?  What advantages are there in
> > aligning with Fedora (and going against the FHS)?  The cost is --
> > at least -- changing all our packages (DDPO puts that at 265).
>
> As Hans stated, the system we use is optional in FHS.

On Wed, 4 May 2011 23:56:50 +0200
Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:

> AFAIK, using /usr/games and /usr/share/games is optional, so whatever
> we decide we would go for FHS, not against it. Am I wrong in that
> assumption?

On Wed, 04 May 2011 16:48:04 +0200
Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:

> AIUI both are following the FHS. It seems to make sense to use both
> /usr/games and /usr/share/games, or none of them. OTOH while I do like

What the FHS says about /usr is:
> Specific Options
>
> The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be
> in /usr/ share, if the corresponding subsystem is installed:
>
> Directory                       Description
> dict      Word lists (optional)
> doc       Miscellaneous documentation (optional)
> games     Static data files for /usr/games (optional)
> info      GNU Info system s primary directory (optional)
[... more things here ...]

I feel "if the corresponding subsystem is installed" would mean "If
games are installed". Not sure how else we can read that section?

Thats taken from line ~1370-1380
in /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/fhs/fhs-2.3.txt.gz on my debian system.

the section on /var/games is at ~ 1855-1865, and includes in part:
>     Rationale: /var/games has been given a hierarchy of its own,
> rather than leaving it merged in with the old /var/lib as in release 1.2. The
> separation allows local control of backup strategies,
> permissions, and disk usage, as well as allowing inter-host sharing and reducing clutter
> in /var/ lib. Additionally, /var/games is the path traditionally used
> by BSD.

Which i found interesting, as we're talking about moving it back :)

thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)