Re: RFS: 0ad

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 at 17:18:07 +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:
> (The tricky bit is that they're uncompressed zip files, since that
> makes it much better when the whole package is compressed for download
> with gzip/lzma - it saves about 20-30MB compared to compressing an
> already-compressed zip - and in the future we might reorder files
> within the zip to improve startup performance, so we can't just use
> standard zip tools.)

FYI, Info-ZIP (the common zip(1) on Linux, available for all major and many
minor OSs) can do this perfectly well:

    rm -f public.zip
    zip -0 public.zip art/badger.jpg art/mushroom.tif scripts/snake.py

or even

    rm -f public.zip
    cat > filelist.txt
    art/badger.jpg
    art/mushroom.tif
    scripts/snake.py
    ^D
    zip -0 public.zip -@ < filelist.txt

See the Debian packaging for openarena-data [1], which jumps through hoops to
keep files in the PK3 in the same order as distributed upstream so they don't
fail network-compatibility checksumming.

[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/openarena-data/?op=log