Re: RFS: enemy-territory

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:03:54 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 at 20:03:41 -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > * Package name    : enemy-territory
> > * License         : GPL-3, md4 RSA, zlib
> >   Section         : contrib/games
>
> Some random thoughts from a quake3/ioquake3 maintainer:
>
> Do you also intend to enhance game-data-packager to be able to obtain and
> package the necessary game data, similar to what I did for quake3?
>
> (In the case of ET, the game data is free-as-in-free-beer and downloadable,
> which should simplify things; for quake3 you still have to buy the data, so I
> made g-d-p support obtaining pak0.pk3 from the CD-ROM or from a Windows/Steam
> Q3 installation).

I wrote a downloader script for the game data, which is included in
the package. I've also written a wrapper around the game executable that
will tell the user that they should run the downloader if it doesn't
find the game data.

> It might be worth looking through our ioquake3 package or ioquake3 svn for
> fixes that can be cherry-picked; I'm gradually getting our backlog of
> OpenArena portability fixes merged into upstream ioquake3.
>
> (However, I believe the Q3 and ET engines forked long before either was
> GPL'd, so they've probably diverged in many places.)

I'll take a look.

> Does ET still have an embedded copy of libjpeg? Upstream ioquake3 have become
> less opposed to using a system libjpeg, although we might have to use
> libjpeg8.

It does have an embedded jpeg code copy.  However, I am already
dynamically linking to the system version instead.

Best wishes,
Mike