Re: Purpose: how to provide a better user experience running a game

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> I think it would be best if any changes we make can be forwarded
> upstream. As a result I don't think writing a separate UI is
> appropriate,
We cannot write hundreds of UI.
> each game should DTRT wrt required OpenGL support
> (display a message in the existing window). In any case, if the system
> doesn't have GPU-accellerated OpenGL rather than CPU-accellerated
> OpenGL then the game would start normally and be slow (unless
> Mesa/Gallium is maybe using llvmpipe), so I wonder how common this
> crash scenario is. Certainly under the nouveau drivers without
> GPU-accellerated 3D support warzone2100, chromium-bsu and primrose
> don't crash and primrose even runs at normal speed, warzone2100 is
> almost playable and chromium-bsu is slooow.
We should also take care of CPU, RAM, etc. and alert users (only one
time) if their computer does not have all system requirements, so they
can know why chromium-bsu on their PC is slow (example) and they avoid
to open useless bug reports. Another example: using proprietary
drivers, sometime I noticed that they fail and *sometime* my PC cannot
provide 3D accelleration. A lot of people use proprietary drivers and
they have a lot of problems, just take a look in support forums,
etc....