Re: game-data-packager changes pending

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:20:58AM -0400, Michael Gilbert
wrote:
> if i'm not mistaken, most of the game-data packages add
> suppplemental data, rather than core data.  i.e. doom-wad
> adds more data than doom-sharware; and prboom, etc will
> still work without doom-wad.  so in a sense that data
> isn't depended on, but actually enhances the existing
> package data.

I'm afraid you are mistaken. the game data packages provide
core data, which are alternatives to doom-wad-shareware and
freedoom, as appose to supplementing them.  prboom (and
chocolate-doom) will not function without something
providing 'doom-wad', be it generated by game-data-packager,
or provided from freedoom (for prboom in main) or
doom-wad-shareware (for chocolate-doom, thus relegated to
contrib)

That is, with doom-wad-shareware installed, you can run
chocolate-doom or prboom; but if you have another doom-wad
installed (via gdp) you do not need doom-wad-shareware (and
it is not used at the same time/in the same session as
another set of data)

In the case of rott, we don't think we can distribute the
shareware game data even in non-free, so gdp (or another
solution, like rott's current postint scripts) is required.
We can also look at installing the full commercial rott data
using much of the same code as the shareware data in gdp I
think.

In the case of quake3, I think the goal is for the engines
to work in conjunction with openarena which means they can
live in main as appose to contrib, but should you have a
copy of the commercial game and want to avoid installing
openarena, you can use gdp to build something satisfying the
relevant dependency.

--
Jon Dowland