Re: game-data-packager changes pending

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:45:40 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've updated the wiki page
> <http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Development/DataLoader> with
> the current work list for game-data-packager.
>
> It's my hope to finish up rott support and have that merged
> shortly.
>
> Due to an issue with Debian and su/sudo, I will be changing
> game-data-packager so that by default it attempts su(1),
> rather than sudo(1), when installing a package.  However the
> default behaviour will be changed away from automatically
> installing the package.

what about installing game data to /var/games instead of packaging it
up? that path is used, for example, by bsdgames, and it is part of the
FHS.

the package postinst could set up a new directory there with write
access for only the games group. then it would be a matter of checking
the user's groups when they run game-data-packager and presenting some
guidance/help if they're not yet in games.

a better name for the package then may be "game-data-loader" or
"game-data-mover". anyway, just a thought.

mike