Re: git vs. svn (again)

* Jon Dowland <jon+debian-devel-games@alcopop.org> [2009-09-11 16:57:29 CEST]:
> What I would like to ask is, which of the two should we
> *encourage* the use of. I would suggest git for new
> packages. It would be good to standardise on *encouraging*
> one (not demanding nor migrating to it) for the purposes of
> our wiki documentation.

 The discussion is .. not clear. When people mention git vs. svn noone
really says what they expect of git. As this thread shows some seem to
expect git to use a special workflow like topgit and the likes, and
somehow everyone seems to imply to incorporate upstream sources into git
- but even if that's implied for everyone it should definitely be
spelled out.

 So please be clear on what you mean with "git" because it is *not* that
obvious. And yes, I fear somehow the complexity of topgit when trying to
work on it, and I especially fear the size of full upstream source in
git which did lead to having myself removed from the uploaders field of
wormux (btw., the new upstream version is still pending since a while).

 Also, there is somehow legal impacts to having upstream VCS
incorporated into ours. While it might be easy to merge and stuff the
need to have dfsg-free source repacking isn't that uncommon for us and
we won't be able to use such a tainted VCS from upstream anyway - the
gain for that is gone, or otherwise it would mean we would need to
rewrite history too when upstream has such things in their VCS, which is
just a pain. I know that some people say that I'm holier than jesus with
that thoughts and believe that it should be enough to have VCS rm'ed the
files but it still doesn't really make me happy, Debian somehow has the
status of doing things right not just because.

 So, again, if you want to honestly discuss svn vs. git, please be
honest and straight-forward explain what you *MEAN* with that. If you
mean just taking what we currently have in svn and put it in git I don't
have a big preference, though obviously it's easier to do a full
checkout from svn over all the various games and do mass changes than it
would be with git. And even then, there's git svn that works extremely
well for those who can't stand the regular svn interface.

 The core of my longish mail is: Please do define what you mean by
saying "git" first before you try to discuss switching to it, it would
be much more fruitful.

 Thanks!
Rhonda