Re: tuxcap and atomic worm (Re: source code of "atomic worm)

2009/6/7 W.P. van Paassen <wp.van.paassen@gmail.com>:
> Hi,

Hi :)

> I've just released version 1.4.0 of libtuxcap. it is now 64 bit clean!

That's great news!!!

I've successfully built a package from it and injected it in the
Debian Games Team SVN server. I still have some minor problems that I
need to solve before it's ready for upload, but it works great!!!!! :)

First, I need to make sure that all the stuff in tuxcap-build/ is
DFSG-Free and the owner of the copyright of those contents (music,
fonts, sounds, images...). If they're covered by the same license as
the program there should be no problem with that.

Another minor thing, but thaw we should have to think carefully about
is a function in tuxcap/lib/SexyAppBase.cpp:

void SexyAppBase::LoadResourceManifest()
{
	if (!mResourceManager->ParseResourcesFile("properties//resources.xml"))
		ShowResourceError(true);
}

If we let it as it is, we should force every game implemented using
this library to change directory before starting, so that this file is
always there, in a relative path. I think it is a suboptimal solution.
Having a single file for all the games in the system might be
suboptimal too. What is your opinion about this?

I acknowledge that the license, while being free according with Debian
Free Software Guidelines as far as I can see, is not compatible with
the GPL due to an advertising clause (like BDS4 or OpenSSL licenses).
As it does not depend on aly GPL'ed library, that is OK, but everyone,
keep in mind that any game that links against it must not be GPL
(unless it uses GPL with an exception clause as stuff linking against
OpenSSL does) nor use any GPL'ed stuff. That is not a problem for the
library itself to enter Debian, though. It is NOT incompatible with
the LGPL, though.

> Please check it out at tuxcap.sf.net and let me know if there are any
> problems with it.

Thanks a lot for the effort. It is really a great library and games,
I'm really looking forward to have it in Debian! :)

Greetings,
Miry

Licenses of the packages it depends on:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/libs/libsdl1.2/libsdl1.2_1.2.13-4/libsdl1.2-dev.copyright