Re: tuxcap and atomic worm (Re: source code of "atomic worm)

Hi,

> First, I need to make sure that all the stuff in tuxcap-build/ is
> DFSG-Free and the owner of the copyright of those contents (music,
> fonts, sounds, images...). If they're covered by the same license as
> the program there should be no problem with that.

I've asked in the forums if I could include the data
see
http://developer.popcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3396

I think as all included data files are part of the PopCap Games
Framework, it is all covered by the PopCap  license. We may need more
confirmation from PopCap on this though.

> Another minor thing, but thaw we should have to think carefully about
> is a function in tuxcap/lib/SexyAppBase.cpp:
>
> void SexyAppBase::LoadResourceManifest()
> {
>        if (!mResourceManager->ParseResourcesFile("properties//resources.xml"))
>                ShowResourceError(true);
> }
>
> If we let it as it is, we should force every game implemented using
> this library to change directory before starting, so that this file is
> always there, in a relative path. I think it is a suboptimal solution.
> Having a single file for all the games in the system might be
> suboptimal too. What is your opinion about this?

The ParseResourceFile function prepends a path to the
'properties/resources.xml file. This path can be set by using
SetAppResourceFolder.. e.g.
SetAppResourceFolder("/usr/share/games/goollie"), see the main.cpp
file of Go Ollie
In this way the game doesn't need to change directory and every game
can have his own resource.xml file.

> I acknowledge that the license, while being free according with Debian
> Free Software Guidelines as far as I can see, is not compatible with
> the GPL due to an advertising clause (like BDS4 or OpenSSL licenses).
> As it does not depend on aly GPL'ed library, that is OK, but everyone,
> keep in mind that any game that links against it must not be GPL
> (unless it uses GPL with an exception clause as stuff linking against
> OpenSSL does) nor use any GPL'ed stuff. That is not a problem for the
> library itself to enter Debian, though. It is NOT incompatible with
> the LGPL, though.

Yes or in case of Go Ollie! and Atomic Worm, their code is GPL but
because it is written in python and interpreted by the embedded python
interpreter, it is compatible as well.

Thanks and cheers
Peter

--