Re: spring debian package

While I'm not aware of the standards for alpha review, I'll point out that springlobby (used to connect to servers hosting the games) seems to have a lot of problems. It crashed 50% of the time while I was testing the latest upstream (0.19 at the time).

The spring upstream tarball contains two binaries: spring-engine and spring-dedicated. The latter is used to run a server to host games. It would be nice if you could figure out how to make the package build both. Spring-dedicated isn't however all that is needed to run a dedicated server. A script called SPADS[0] is also needed, of which only basic configuration is possible since its features haven't yet been documented by its author.

It's good to see that someone else has interest in spring. I find the accomplishments of this project to be nothing less than spectacular. I wish only that springlobby were a bit more mature, since you need it to play the game. It's also worth mentioning that springlobby has the ability to distribute via libtorrent the "Mods" and maps which are also required.

[0] http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17130&start=0

Regards,
J. Stuckey

Quoting Marco Amadori <marco.amadori@gmail.com>:

Hi all,
after some packaging work in spring[0] I asked on IRC how to proceed and I
found that James Stuckey was working on it and looked at svn and then at PPA
packages mentioned in the changelog.

However my packaging is a little different and seems to me to be more mature,
although I think only spring (besided springlobby and content) is in a good
shape to be alpha reviewed.

This mail is just to let debian games people that I'm interested too in having
spring in debian and that I already reached some milestones (it builds, it
works, lintian is not so much worried).

I patched some minor upstream code and sent patches [1] to it and I put my
compressed debian directory on a temporary web server there [2] to let the
interested devs to have a look until I'll "publish on mentor.d.o"/"coordinate
there with James/anyone".

[0] http://springrts.com
[1] http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=1664
[2] http://www.coralecordenonese.it/debian/spring-debian-dir.tar.gz