Re: Optimizing arch-independent game data (png, for example)

Op 2008-05-13, Miriam Ruiz schreef <little.miry@gmail.com>:
> 2008/5/13 Wen-Yen Chuang <caleb@calno.com>:
>> I think "pngcrush -brute" can compress pngs even smaller than optipng. :-)
>>
>>  It will try 114 different filter/compression methods and choose the
>>  smallest one.
>
> Cool!! I'll definitely be waiting for that bechmark! :)

I've experimented with the goplay thumbnails a while ago [1], and my
recommendation is optipng (default settings) followed by advpng -z4
(from advancecomp). This gets the best compression out of any method
I've tried, while still being quite speedy (faster than optipng -o4
for example).

(optipng will choose an optimal color space and compresses using zlib,
while advcomp uses the 7zip algorithm, which is usually better. So you
get the best of both worlds.)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/03/msg00123.html