Re: Adding new game packages to Lenny

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 08:40, Sylvain Beucler <beuc@beuc.net> wrote:

> Well, in Fedora you can retro-add packages to the last 2 releases
> pretty easily, so it can't be this bad ;)

Debian stable does not mean the system is stable. It means that
the package set is stable. Baring security updates and very few
volatile packages (if time zones, winter/summer time etc change,
for example), _nothing_ makes it into stable once it's been
released.
This is the reason why stable is totally non-interesting to me
from the user's pov. Others swear by it. In any case, this is one
of Debian's core design principles and will most likely never
change.
We are traditionally stuck with one stable release for a long
time, so we need to make sure there is no realistic chance
of inside breakage.

Both Debian's and Fedora approach have their relative merrits.
It's up to the users to vote with their feet.

> Yes, I plan to do this :) The problem is the "once Lenny releases"
> part, since until then, backports is frozen too in this regard.

Nothing stops you from creating a backport for your game right
now. And you will have very high chances that you will be able
to use it for the real stable, as well :)

> The fact Synaptic doesn't have an easy way to install backports makes
> it pretty much unusable for normal (i.e. non-command-line-savvy,
> i.e. our target) users too :/

Non-command-line-savvy users who use stable on the Desktop will

1) not have the right to install any games
2) have someone who does stuff for them
or
3) not care about much non-work-related stuff

so that is not really a concern, imo.

Desktop users are generally encouraged to use testing, anyway.
At least that's what I see in the IRC channels and what I tell people
who ask me IRL.

Richard