Re: Adding new game packages to Lenny

Hi,

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:42:30 +0100 Sylvain Beucler wrote:

> >  Even those can affect the overall stability of the system, have
> > side-effects on unrelated packages that aren't properly checked (needed
> > Conflicts, filename clashes, maintainer script woes)
>
> It's beginning to make sense.
> Can you explain "needed Conflicts"?

[...]
> Currently I highly doubt adding 'ballz' or 'freedink' to Lenny will
> cause any breakage - so either I'm wrong, and I'm interested in
> knowing why, either I'm right and it's a matter of Policy, in which
> case the Policy can be improved.

Well, imagine you ship the ballz binary as /usr/bin/ballz. And now
imagine there is xeyes, shipping /usr/bin/ballz too (and displaying two
footballs instead of the original eyes [don't get me wrong on the
ballz :P]). As you dont have xeyes installed, you'd never detect the
fact, that there are two packages with the same binary.
You see the problem?
Or imagine you have a funny postinst in freedink, which plays around
with alternatives. But there is a typo, and you accidentally kill the
alternatives of freedroid.
At this moment RMs will get really angry, trust me :)

Thus, for saving our alls nerves, and freing time to fix bugs that
really affect Lenny, the RMs don't accept anything new.

Regards
Evgeni

PS: One could for sure catch all those bugs and mistakes I mentioned
above, and all other possible cases which might went wrong. But one
also *could* write !32-bit and endianess aware software... Pabs? :)