Re: Git vs SVN

2008/11/7 Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org>:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Vincent, could you expand on that "more-than-dubious" qualification of
>> the conversion to git?
>>
>> I don't want to be *at*all* combative, I just want to understand which
>> benefit(s) you consider more-than-dubious for git?

I don't think most of the team members would have any problem with
anyone wholeheartedly defend any technical decision (logically, as
long as it is done politely and it is not enfoced by anyone, but we
haven't have any problem of that kind yet and we don't really expect
it at all, so no problem). For what I perceived, there are two groups
of people here: those who understand git and its benefits and would
definitely go for it, and those of us (I'm included) that don't really
understand git but feel that it has a somehow difficult learning
curve, or that it might take them some time they don't have to be able
to learn. I'm also concerned for it being an obstacle for new members
of the team, but I guess most of that can be solved with some recipes,
as we already have in the wiki page [1]

I mean, if you (or other members of the team) are sure it's worth it,
I don't mind having a discussion on it, in fact the result of that
kind of discussions, whatever is decided at last, if done properly is
always positive. We won't reach the best decisions being politically
correct :)

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS

>  I know I should have explained more. What I mean is that, starting
> from a team which is mainly using SVN and svn-buildpackage, converting
> to git will not bring further functionality unless you convert the
> team members too, but it is clear that it has a certain cost,
> especially in terms of time everyone would spend to get comfortable
> with using git-buildpackage.

Maybe if we decided to go to git we should develop a way to help all
the members of the team to have a smooth transition? It's probably
just a matter of losing our fears and getting comfortable with it.
Having both SVN and git is a practical solution, but is definitely
sub-optimal, I guess we all know that.

I have yet to understand git to be able to see the benefits, but I
have the feeling that most of the team would be open to make a move
towards git if we could have a smooth transition.

Any thoughts?

Greetings,
Miry