Fwd: Parallel Realities Games have non-free content

Forwarding this mail from the Fedora Games Mailing List:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl>
Date: 2008/8/18
Subject: Re: Parallel Realities Games have non-free content
To: Fedora Games <fedora-games-list@redhat.com>
Cc: matthias@rpmforge.net

Tom spot Callaway wrote:

> Recently, it has come to light that all Parallel Realities games were knowingly using and including non-free content (graphics, audio, etc).
>
> See: http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&highlight=
>
> Accordingly, we need to block these packages from Fedora:
>
> blobwars
> blobAndConquer
> starfighter
> viruskiller

Ok I've been in contact with upstream about this and I got the
following list from them of resources which they got from various
places and they thus cannot give any license guarantees about:

For Blob Wars,

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Blob And Conquer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Virus Killer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Project: Starfighter
All Music
All Sound Effects
Character Portraits
Starfighter (and other spacecraft) images

My plan is to issue updates for blobwars and blobAndConquer removing
music and sounds (and patching source as necessary to not crash when
these are missing).

Then I'll be replacing the music which is all mod / xm / s3m with
modtracker files from modarchive.org which only contains freely
(re)distributable modtracker files (license already approved by Spot).

Last I will be replacing the sound effects with sound effects from
other free games in Fedora, mainly freedoom, nexuiz, tremulous,
opearena and worminator.

I'll do the same for viruskiller as that one is from Matthias, and
Matthias seems to have little time for Fedora lately.

Project starfighter will have to be removed until we can fix the
graphics issue, I've contacted Nicu and Marin asking them if they can
maybe do some replacement graphics for starfighter.

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

As I still have quite a bit webcam work todo before the F10 beta for
now I'll only be removing the sounds / music, adding replacements is
something which I will do in a later update. In the mean time any help
with this would be much appreciated, if you want to help please drop
me a mail to coordinate.