Re: Need to reach a decision on how to handle the git repository

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:02:34 +0200 Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> 1) Store only the debian/ directory in git, using quilt as patching
> system the same way we use SNV
> 2) Store the whole source there, using pristine-tar, and use git at
> its full power
> 3) Allow both layouts depending on the package

Mh, I would go for 2, as we have the tools needed (git-bp cannot handle
1 AFAIK) and this seems to be common in other teams, so we can find
docs and help if needed.

> Pros an Cons:
> If we use git in the same way as SVN, it would be easier for
> everybody, and the entry barrier to working in the packages stored
> there would be lower. A lower entry barrier has always been one of the
> goals of the Games Team. The downside is that we won't really be able
> to use the features that are supposed to make git so special and
> useful.
> If the use git storing the whole source, with separate branches,
> pristine-tar and so on, we will be able to get the most of the git
> advanced features, but can stop some of the team members from working
> on those packages, thus we will lose part of the scale economy that
> makes a Team most useful. Having a common set of tools for all the
> packages has always been a goal too.

I don't think that will stop anybody. Sure, one would have to learn a
bit, but that should not be too much.
I learned almost everything I know about SVN from a cheatsheet and the
introduction at wiki.d.o :)

> I want to get a final decision about that before the end of next week.
> could that be?

You got my $0.02, maybe we can sum them up to a whole dollar later :)

Regards
Evgeni