Re: Only debian directory in git? Or everything?

2008/5/24 Wen-Yen Chuang <caleb@calno.com>:

> Hello,

Hello,

(Although late, here's my reply - I am aware of the paralell thread).

> I know only the debian directory should be stored in SVN.
>
> However, I found that our git stores whole upstream source and
> the debian directory.
> (Every packages in git stores both of them.)
>
> Do we plan to put everything in git?

It has been observed that in most cases - especially long term - git
is more efficient in storing the entire unpacked package with its
entire history than SVN+tarballs would be.

Also, in conjunction with pristine-tar, one can recreate the
byte-for-byte *identical* upstream source tarball of any release, with
a smaller disk usage than storing all the tarballs individually.

Also, having the entire source when working on a package is better
than using the svn-do script.

> If not, I think we have to fix the Games/VCS wiki page.
> (I committed CEL to git according to Games/VCS, and it uploaded whole
> source code, too.)

Good.

> And another question:
> How to remove those source safely?
> (If we only want debian directory in git.)

They just need to be deleted and make git aware of that change (still
I don't know what you mean by "safely"; otoh, it shouldn't matter).

EddyP