Re: How to handle two repositories?

Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> I'm seriously concerned about something that might happen: that having
> two very different repositories and policies for packages would lead
> to effectively dividing the people in the Games Team in two teams: the
> svn-team and the git-team, if things are too different between them.
> Will there be more benefits in having different layouts for them, or
> is it something we would want to avoid? In any case, any idea on how
> to prevent the actual division of the Team in two different working
> teams? We might be losing economy of scale there.

    While I can see a loss of economy of scale from having two
different respositories, where some people might not be comfortable in
one or the other, I'm not convinced that team identity is firmly
linked to the repository.  We all care about games.  We all subscribe
to this list.  Many of us participate on #debian-games.  I suspect at
least some of us (myself included) will find ourselves working with
both version control systems over time.

    Watching team communications, there seem to be three primary areas
of discussion: workarounds for various annoyances (e.g. upstream
changed the build system); package review & exchanging hints of
convenient tools, methods, etc.; and shared discussions with upstream
and other distributors towards package licensing, availability, etc.
Except for minor details, I don't imagine much of this to be
significantly impacted by multiple repositories.  While it may be
harder to commit a change to every package (especially because git
doesn't seem to allow one to check out the entire repository), it
oughtn't be harder to coordinate as a team, nor to have the common
trust of each other to adjust the packages in a useful way towards
collaborative uploads.

--
Emmet HIKORY