Re: How to handle two repositories?

On 28/05/2008, Christoph Egger wrote:
> Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > Right now we have two different repositories, SVN and git. Until
> > now, everything was stored in SVN, and all the packages followed a
> > certain policy [1] (everything in debian/, patches with quilt,
> > debhelper and so), so everyone knew how to manage it. With the
> > second repository, the git one, the games might be packaged
> > differently to SVN ones. I not that familiar with git (yet), fur
> > AFAIK git might be kind of an alternative to quilt, isn't it?
>
> Well I think it is an alternative the same way SVN is (and according
> to the discussion it SVN is seen as no alternative). The only
> exception would be if the Sourceformat3.0/git Version becomes common
> enough to be widely used.

I think we shouldn't be looking too much into that particular format,
but just focus on how we want to deal with debian and optionally
upstream branches. Mostly: debian/-only or everything in git.

> I personally would prefer doing it all the SVN way as it really makes
> sense I guess. I have created my GIT-Repos the Way suggested in our
> wiki but would vote to convert those to the SVN way although I don't
> quite know how this would interact with the git-buildpackage toolchain
> which may be an consideration.

The more I think about this, the more I think we should stick to our
previous layout, since people are already used to it, and I believe
there were no particular problem reported against it.

I'm not sure how many commits we would have to cherry-pick when moving
from everything-layout to debian-only-layout, but I think it should be
quite easy to export them (git-format-patch) and re-import them into
debian-only-repositories.

As for the conversion from svn to git (debian-only-layout), that's quite
straightforward (I even was able to do that from cvs, heh).

As for git-buildpackage, I believe it can be used with both layouts. And
you can even forget about it. As an example, I'm usually doing things
like that:

  git clone ssh://$foo $bar.git
  wget $tarball # or apt-get source, to get the orig. tarball
  cd bar.git
  tar xfz ../$source-$version.orig.tar.gz --strip 1
  # do your stuff, commit, etc.
  debuild -us -uc -S -i

-i will take care of ignoring everything under usual VCSes (like .git),
and your source package will be clean. You can also get rid of
every file unknown to git at any moment (but beware if you added a file
but didn't tell git, through git-add), using git-clean, so that you are
left with your versioned files only.

> With this discussion in mind I think we need to clearly state what we
> want to do with the new debhelper 7 style debian/rules files which
> have an aim - in my opinion - similar to cdbs.

While I agree we have to decide on dh 7, I think it's a very different
discussion (although I'm offline and can't check the wikipage right
now).

Mraw,
KiBi.