Re: Checklist for packaging games

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:15:38PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > >  * Game loads private libraries through rpath or LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >
> > Is this really necessary? After all, they are private.
>
>  rpath? I also wonder about that one, rpath has to be avoided wherever
> possible, not?

No.  They should be avoided when using public libraries from
non-standard paths.  What really should be avoided is public libraries
in non-standard paths. ;-)

Private libraries shouldn't be in standard paths, and thus they need
rpath or LD_LIBRARY_PATH to work.  AFAIK rpath is considered acceptable
for that case.  It has the advantage that other forks (+exec) of the
executable will not search in that directory.  It has the disadvantage
that it makes things harder to debug (using an alternative library
implementation cannot be done with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, because the rpath
takes precedence over that).  But in general, both solutions are
acceptable for private libraries.

Personally, I try to avoid private libraries completely (except for
plugin behaviour, but then they are opened with dlopen and don't need
special actions).  But you can't choose that option if you're not
upstream. :-)

>  Should we add general things to the checklist too, like Homepage: field
> and watch file?

Yes, we should.  The idea AIUI is to have a list that, when followed,
makes your package better.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html