Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

2008/4/14, Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>:

>  Am 14.4.2008 schrieb "Vincent Fourmond" <fourmond@debian.org>:
>
>  >  I like the idea, but then the major drawback is we can't include the
>  >games in main, as their dependencies won't be satisfied anymore -
>  >unless exceptions would be made for such cases ?
>
> Try to create a minimal data package, which can be shipped in main, so
>  your package can stay in main.

We might also want to reinterpret the meaning of a game engine and a
game data. The same way that an mp3 player doesn't come along with mp3
songs, a game engine that would be designed to handle different 3rd
party worlds that can be free (free toolchain, open specs and so), and
that can be used to play different worlds, might considered not to be
tied to the data, but to be a multimedia player instead. The
requirements for this might be discussed, but most of the people I've
talked to seem to agree to this point of view (the game in fact is the
game data, the same way as the song is the mp3 file, or the document
is the odf file, the text processor, the media player or the game
engine is just the tool).

Miry