Re: Request for Help: Attal

2008/2/11, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com>:
> Barry deFreese wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've picked up attal (with permission from the maintainer who is no
> > longer active).  I just injected it today.  I've got it mostly working
> > but I've moved it's shared libraries to /usr/lib/attal and I'll be
> > damned if I can get rpath to work.  I've tried QMAKE_RPATH, LFLAGS, etc,
>
> Why do you *want* to use rpath?
> Using rpath in Debian is per policy forbidden.

No, it isn't. AFAIK, it's the best way to access these kind of private
libraries for the moment [1]: "Currently, the only generally accepted
use of this feature in Debian is to add non-standard library path
(like /usr/lib/<package>) to libraries that are only intended to be
used by the executables or other libraries within the same source
package". Libraries should only go to /usr/lib/ if they're intended to
be public. rpath is much better than LD_LIBRARY_PATH as an
alternative.

Miry

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/RpathIssue