Re: question : authors names in code

[CCing you, as I'm unsure whether you are subscribed to the list]

  Hello,

Alain Baeckeroot wrote:
> I wanted to know if i have the right to remove the names from
> source code, and instead just put : "see CREDITS"
>
> for example:
> /* ---------------------------------------------------------------------- *
>  * engine.c
>  * This file is part of lincity.
>  * Lincity is copyright (c) I J Peters 1995-1997, (c) Greg Sharp 1997-2001.
>  * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- */
>
> This file is now part of Lincity-NG, and there were significant changes,
> enought for the file to not work anymore in old lincity.

  In my understanding, you should never modify a copyright notice unless
that is explicitly granted by the license. This is very rare (the only
example that comes in my mind, if I recall correctly, are example files
from beamer). You can add your own part of the copyright for non-trivial
modifications.

  For the packages I maintain, I never modify source code directly, but
write patches, which make it a lot easier to separate what you wrote
from what you did not.

  Cheers,

	Vincent

--